DGES WORLD FAMOUS FOOTY TIPPING COMP tipster, SMITTY’s collection of BAD FOOTY CARDS.
SMITTY: My funniest footy cards…I’ll explain why.
1. Ron Alexander – never seen a player take the photo more seriously. Looks like he got out his comb and some brylcream and trimmed the mo, then put on his most serious face. Also he looks about 45 years old.
Tipsmaster’s note: Smitty – there’s nothing wrong with being 45 years old. I’m only a few years shy of 45 and you were in the same year as me at school…and Pear and Symo are there already…
2. Brian Walsh – as a kid I always hated this card even though he was an Essendon player, and he was one of those cards that you seemed to keep getting in every second pack you opened. As a lid I thought he looked like a fat toad….nothing’s changed, he still looks like a fat toad.
Tipsmaster’s note: I too always hated this BAD FOOTY CARD – Just another famous ‘Walsh’ in the Essendon stable.
3. Wayne Primer – I think they got him out of bed and just told him “your hair looks fine, don’t worry about washing it just run a quick comb through it”. I think Wayne had 365 bad hair days for a few years running.
Tipsmaster’s note: Primmer Donner? Click go the shears on that mop.
8.Phil Baker, Brent Crosswell, Frank Gumbleton & Malcolm Blight. Nothing particularly funny bout these photos, but notice the signatures. As a kid playing for Avondale Heights, we went and watched the Kangas train one cold winter night and I took my North Melb. footy cards in the hope of getting the signed. I’ve included these cards to show Blighty for the tosser he was. He refused to sign the card over his picture because “then you won’t see my face, son” and signed it on the reverse. What a great ego. Did I ever tell the story about Kenny Fletcher and the dud cheque?……….
Tipsmaster’s note: Frank Gumbleton always looked about 45 and Snake Baker is a dead ringer for Marty Feldman! P.S. The Ken Fletcher dud cheque is a great story, Smitty…
. David Cloke, Gary Cowton, Peter Welsh & Goeff Raines – a good sample of gay men hiding in the 1970’s. I’ve actually got about 3 years running of Gary Cowton looking like this and I have a theory that he talked Peter Welsh into going to the hairdressers with him one day and getting the same perm. Peter Welsh then tried to grow that beard to look a little more manly whilst Gary stuck with his mo as it worked a treat at the Blue Oyster Bar.
Tipsmaster’s note: They are brilliant BAD FOOTY CARDS, Smitty – P.S. Barnsey had a perm once – I’m still trying to get a hold of the photo…watch this space…
6. Ian Miller & Barry Padley – are these the scariest footballers you’ve ever seen, they both look like they’re just about to knock the shit out of the photographer. I think Barry was just asking the photographer “what the fuck are you looking at” as he was snapped.
Tipsmaster’s note: Avondale boys for sure, these 2
5. Kelvin Templeton – A true Bult lookalike, nothing more needs to be said.
Tipsmaster’s note: You know what they say, 1 in 3 of the world’s population is a Bult!